Friday, May 10, 2013

Baby Heirloom Tomato Salad

Can I first start out by saying that I hate tomatoes? I think they're the grossest, squishiest things in the whole world. However lately, I have gotten brave and have been incorporating them into my diet due to their abundance of Vitamin C and allegid antioxidants. I should note, however, that I only really like them when they're accompanied by cheese and smothered in fat and vinegar. That's what makes them yum-a-licious. I should also note the difference between regular tomatoes and heirloom tomatoes. Heirlooms just taste better than that pale thing that often accompanies a restaurant burger. They're also harder, so you won't get that gross squishy feeling in your mouth that will undoubtedly make you gag on impulse, with an embarrassing vomiting incident to quickly ensue.

Anyway, because I like babies, I tend to gravitate toward miniature food items that are presented in a rather cute fashion. I realize this is ridiculous, but whatever; I do what I can to eat healthy! And since I have been eating cupcakes like they're going out of style, I need all the nutrition I can get. Sidenote: Can I tell you about how delicious my Oreo cupcakes were? I'll post on that later!

Okay, so back to this fucking outrageously delicous heirloom tomato salad. It seriously took ten minutes to whip up. I'm sure that allowing more time for it to sit would have made it even better, though. I'll let you know tomorrow after I ravenously consume it for breakfast. EFF oatmeal.

This salad is also as pretty as a picture. I think the next time I am invited to a cookout or party (hint, hint), I will bring this and put the hostess to shame. Don't worry, though, I'll bring a fabulous gift to make up for the fact that I have upstaged her. I'm only moderately bitchy.

Ingredients:
1+ pounds of baby heirloom tomatoes (I bought a bought a pound of baby heirlooms and added the 7 leftover pearl tomatoes I had on hand)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 8 oz container mozzarella balls
shake of pepper
basil (You should use fresh, but I forgot to buy it, so I tossed in some good quality dried basil)

Method:
1. Obtain a bowl with a lid.

2. Cut your tomatoes in half. If there are any pearl tomatoes in there, cut them into quarters. They're actually quite large.

3. Cut your mozzarella balls in half and toss them with your tomatoes.

4. Combine oil, vinegar, pepper, and basil. Pour over tomatoes and cheese.

5. Put the lid on your bowl and invert repeatedly, so as to evenly coat your cheese and veggies.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment